There’s no question that pancakes are one of the most popular foods all over America. In fact, you can hardly imagine a breakfast table without a stack of pancakes.
Now, we may really enjoy this staple for the breakfast menu, however, store-bought pancake mixtures are loaded with processed sugar, bleached white flour, gluten, hydrogenated fats and more, all of which put your health at risk. On the other hand, making pancakes at home is very easy, so why not turn this delicious food into something super healthy?
The pancake recipe we sincerely recommend here requires only two ingredients: eggs and bananas. It may sound odd at first that you can make healthy and delicious pancakes with only two ingredients, but the thing is both eggs and bananas are full of nutrients that will do a world of good to your overall health.
Health Benefits of Eggs
Eggs are an extremely nutritious food that should be on your menu at least 3 times a week. Abundant in vitamins and nutrients, eggs improve your health on many different levels.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B2
Eggs are rich in in protein and omega-3 fatty acids, meaning they support weight loss and reduce inflammation. They also increase the HDL or “good” cholesterol, which prevents heart disease and the different health conditions that it brings on.
There’s a general misconception that yolks contribute to cholesterol accumulation in the blood, which is why people generally avoid them and stick only to eggs whites. But, a number of studies have revealed that eating whole eggs actually provides little to no effect on the body’s cholesterol levels. In fact, one study showed that eating eggs had no effect on cholesterol in 70% of the study participants, and minor effect in the remaining 30%.
Health Benefits of Bananas
Bananas are one of the most health beneficial fruits. They contain a lot of fiber, as well as a number of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients:
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Net carbs
So far, studies have shown that bananas are highly beneficial for curbing cravings and regulating blood sugar levels. This is the result of two types of fiber found in bananas – pectin and resistant starch, both of which lower blood sugar levels, and, when eaten after a meal, reduce hunger by slowing digestion.
In addition, bananas are extremely beneficial for reducing blood pressure owing to their high potassium content. All in all, bananas are great for your heart health.
Banana-Egg Pancake Recipe
- 1/2 cup of ripe, finely mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- In a bowl, mix the bananas and eggs until they blend well.
- At medium heat place 1/4 of the mixture on a pan. When it browns on one side, flip it over and cook the other side briefly. This is one pancake.
- Do the same until you’ve run out of the mixture. You should get about 4-5 pancakes.